I like to say I am a true Canadian, enjoying all the seasons to the fullest, but if I had to choose one season to live in year round…it would be autumn. The crisp cool nights, warm sunny days, the sound of leaves crunching underfoot and the beauty of the fall colours – magnificent.
The season of pumpkin spice everything!
It’s also my favourite time of year for dressing. And shopping for perfect pieces to update my wardrobe to feel fresh and current.
For many, it’s launching into the season of overwhelm, you’ve survived back to school. That still leaves Thanksgiving, Halloween, Christmas, New Years and anything in between such as a conference, birthday, wedding or anniversary celebrations to plan for.
Which usually means 1 of 2 things happen when it comes to planning/shopping for fall.
A – You do nothing, feeling closet paralysis. Wearing the same outfit over and over because it works.
B – You buy impulsively, a handful of gorgeous new items (the latest and greatest) yet are unsure of how to incorporate into your current fall wardrobe.
Recently, a client told me she now thinks of her wardrobe as a secret weapon – an army knife. One tool many ways to use it!
That analogy completely sums up how I like to create a functional and fashionable wardrobe. A collection of pieces that can be used in multiple ways – it’s sexier than it sounds, especially when infused with the latest trends.
Here are my picks as essentials for a
stylish cold weather wardrobe.
- Dark denim jeans. What I like about dark denim is that it can take you almost anywhere. Dressed up with pumps, blouse, and blazer on a weekday to rolled up and paired with a sweater (or tee!) and sneakers on the weekend. While I happen to be thrilled about the return of straight cut and wide legged jeans, the high waisted skinny will give you more mileage and versatility. Opt for a pair that allows a bit of breathing room from the start. Gone are the days where we need to be doing lunges to break in our denim to wear. Currently, I am a huge fan of Cabi denim, skinny but not too skinny.
- Classic white shirt. Maybe you have one already in your closet and are bored with wearing it the same way with a blazer for work, 9-5. Shake things up. Try tying at the waist, paired with your jeans or a leather skirt, add a statement piece of jewelry and booties for a night on the town. It makes the perfect foundation for adding a plaid poncho or your favourite chunky crew neck sweater.
- Tall boots. Over the knee boots have been popular the last couple years, as have booties. A boot that sits just below the knee tends to be the most flattering for all body shapes. Choosing the style and heel will depend on you and how they will be worn. A simple tall black riding boot can be paired with leggings, denim and skirts/dresses for a more casual look. The skinnier the heel the dressier your outfit becomes. Keep in mind kitten and stiletto heels don’t fare as well with gravel type surfaces. Be sure to protect your leather accordingly. A good pair of boots can last years when cared for properly.
- A Great Coat. The finishing pieces make all the difference in feeling put together in any season. Living in a climate that can be unpredictable from fall into winter puts us in a pickle. We want warmth and style. A long wool coat will do just that. Worn buttoned up when the weather is cold or open with a more relaxed feel with just a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers for a weekend street style look on a pleasant day.
- Blanket Scarf. Don’t be shy about size, blanket scarves are supposed to be BIG; the word ‘blanket’ in its name says it all. Wear as a scarf or use as a wrap instead of a jacket and it’s a stylish alternative compared to a sloppy cardigan to have on hand if your office gets chilly.
Without a doubt, these five pieces will create a great foundation within your closet to be worn over and over and in different ways.
Ready to be a ninja of style but a little unsure how to turn your wardrobe into a secret weapon?
Schedule your complimentary Style Success Session today!